Friday, March 14, 2014

The Prince of Preachers

I just finished reading The Prince of Preachers by Charles H. Spurgeon. I didn't know much about him before I read the book so I'm really encouraged and inspired!

- C. Spurgeon struggled with the way he looked (as a teenager). That is so interesting to me. He thought he had a fat body and he wished he was different, stronger. He wished God would change his appearance. It was good to read on and see how he realized that God had made him just the way He wanted him to be.

- C. Spurgeon preached his first sermon when he was 16.  
16!!! That's amazing!  
"But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord." - Jeremiah 1:7-8
You can never be too young to do the work of God. 

- C. Spurgeon trusted the Lord with his future - He didn't know the future but he knew that God was in it. And that was enough for him.

- "God has not brought you this far only to abandon you now."

- C. Spurgeon prayed to God to "give him the boldness of Elijah, the tenderness of David, and the simplicity of John the Baptist."

- C. Spurgeon believed that if God begins a work in you, He is able, willing and competent to complete it. God never draws out the blueprints for a project He is incapable of accomplishing! (so true, such comfort!!!)

- C. Spurgeon was always seeking to be faithful, not to be great. 

- "God gives us exactly what we need when we need it."

- "Every caterpillar must travel through a cocoon before riding the wings of the wind."


- C. Spurgeon suffered great depression. That also brings me comfort since I've been struggling with depression my whole life. But even though Spurgeon struggled with depression, he never stood before the congregation without a smile on his face. He was serving the Lord with his whole heart. 


Such a life, such a ministry! 
I love reading missionary biographies or books about Christians who followed the Lord with their whole hearts! What courage, what faith! So inspiring! And it encourages me to follow Jesus with all I have because He is worth it! 


Lord, increase my faith and help me follow you, no matter where, no matter how; 
I want to be all about Your business!

No comments:

Post a Comment