Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Shack

I first heard of the book for New Year's when I was at girl's retreat at the castle in Austria. Tanja was talking about a chapter that's describing a garden where the Holy Spirit is working. The garden is a mess and Holy Spirit is so proud of it, especially when someone says that it's a mess.
Tanja was telling us about it because she got us a project to make - each of us got a small mirror and colorful stones and we had to make our own mosaic garden on our mirrors that would reflect our wishes for a year 2010 (we taped colorful stones and plastic flowers, we wrote words..). Our "gardens" were all so different and unique. I'm a person who likes order and tidiness and when I started making my "garden", I thought to myself "this will be so pretty and so colorful and so in order" and while I was working on it, I got some ideas and at the end my mosaic garden was.. a colorful mess.

Anyway.. I heard of the book again a month ago when David said he just got it back from someone and Katka said she'll read it first and then give it to me.
So a week or so later I got the book! Yay! Almost everyone else have already read it and I was really curious about it.
I didn't start reading it for a week but when I started, I didn't want to stop!
I started reading it one evening at 11pm and thought "I'm just gonna go through the beginning and see if I'll even like it" and I didn't put the book down until 12.45am when I could barely keep my eyes open.
The book is really G-R-E-A-T!

I highly recommend!

It made me think differently about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in a way.
In a good way.
Most of the time we have no idea why God does things that sometimes hurt or are not really nice but author of the book shows us things through a fiction that help to understand why we live in a family that doesn't understand us or why the world is so cruel or why people we love, die.. It goes to the very beginning where Adam and Eve made a mistake and because of it the whole humanity is now in this big battle between light and darkness.
It talks about judgement, too. We all judge. We judge other people's clothes/styles, haircuts, bodies.. we're used to it and it's natural for us but it's wrong and it hurts. And even if we think we're not hurting anyone by doing a quiet judgement, we are hurting ourselves and God.




The book is a fiction, they say.
I wonder if it really is..

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. ej ves da jaz je tud se nisem prebrala... s Scottom sva skupi prebrala mislim da 3 poglavja potem sem pa nehala brat... mogoce bom med tem poletjem prebrala...

    ReplyDelete