Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In The Land of Blood and Honey

I recently watched this movie, written and produced by Angelina Jolie. I heard she was interested in making a movie that would take a scene in Bosnia but I didn't know it'll come out so soon.

The movie is placed in Bosnia from 1992 to 1995. There's a war between Bosnians and Muslims, I'm not sure if Serbians are in between somewhere. Their war started a year after war stopped in Slovenia, a year after Slovenia became an independent country and wasn't under Yugoslavia anymore.

I was 3 years old when war in Bosnia started.

I heard about it as a kid... we would be driving to the seaside in the summer and would drive through Croatia. We were sometimes close to the border with Bosnia and you could see wholes of bullets in the houses, different kinds of buildings... and my parents told me about it. I don't remember much, I was too young, but I remember seeing those buildings, imagining how it was for them.

This movie really gives you a picture what people had to go through. It shows more women than man, and their pain... and it makes me say "Thank you, God, for finishing war in Slovenia!" I was 2 years old when Slovenia became a republic, and 3 when war in Bosnia started. It didn't effect Slovenia and I'm so thankful for it. I can't imagine how it would be for us to go through what Bosnians and Serbians had to go through. It makes me thank the Lord for freedom, for what I have right now, for all He's given me. I went through some hard things in my life but I don't think they can compare to pain, fear and horrible memories people who were in war have.. including my parents! They weren't in the war itself but they were in the process of Slovenia becoming a republic, of different nations, of struggles, of fighting.. Can you imagine all of that? Can you imagine that war is still going on? People in Iraq and Iran...

It was a great movie with horrible things shown but it helped me realize what my life looks like and how easy it is.

Thank you, Lord, for my life.

1 comment:

  1. I recently read The Cellist of Sarajevo. It was an amazing and really, really sad story about the siege of Sarajevo. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete