Sunday, May 25, 2014

A gracious answer

We all know God hears our prayers, all of them, no matter how long or short they are. He hears them. But we often don't feel like He does because nothing major happens; there's no lightning coming down from the sky, there's no visible sign of it… and sometimes we don't see His answer for a long time.

In summer 2011 I was doubting God's love for me. I was only a Christian for a good year and I was a summer intern with Josiah Venture in Celje, a city I didn't know. It was a hard summer and my doubt didn't help the struggles. I prayed a prayer I don't often pray, and said, "God, can you please show me your love for me? Can you show me you love me?" My motives weren't entirely right because I kind of tested God. I said, "If you give me a black lilly, I'll know you love me." I didn't know black lilies exist (they do) so I was thinking God will never be able to show me a black lilly.
I came to my parents house a couple of weeks later, said hi to my mom, and then stopped in shock. There it was, a black lilly on our table. My mom came to me and said, "Do you like it? I got it at out garden." The lilly had 3 flowers on it (it reminded me of the Trinity) and it was beautiful. As "hard" as it was for me to think God could give me a black lilly and as wrong as my motives were in asking Him to do this for me, God provided the flower to show me just how much He loves me!

God gave me a big promise in December, something that's very important to me. A lot of stuff happened in the past few months that made me start questioning if that promise really was from God or if I just made it up. I remembered the prayer from 2011 and decided to ask God to confirm His promise to me, if it was from Him, with a rainbow. I continued with my day, forgetting what I prayed for.
It was Friday so we had our Junior High youth group in the evening. I drove the kids home afterwards, it was 8:20pm. We were driving towards Kocevje and there was a small patch of forest before us. We drove past it and there was this huge rainbow in the sky! :)
I got tears in my eyes and I explained to the girls how just 4 hours before that I prayed that God would show me a rainbow and confirm His promise to me, and He did! He did it when it was almost night, it was raining most of the day, and he did it in just those 10min when I was outside and was actually able to see it! Oh, how amazing, loving, gracious and good God we have! He didn't have to answer my prayer, but He did, by His grace. I feel loved and seen, and God confirmed something that means a lot to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment