Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It finally came - 10 day outreach to Serbia

10-day outreaches are finally here!

I'm in a team of 6 (+ a 5-year old Gabby), and we're leaving for Serbia on Friday afternoon. God was so good to us that we going to drive with a family that's studying here (they have a big van), and we don't have to go with a bus or train. I'm excited + also a bit scared of the 10-day with a team I don't really know; I only know the leaders (which is the most important thing).

We don't have a lot on our agenda. We're arriving on Friday afternoon and all we're going to do that night is to get registered. That's required for anyone who comes to Serbia because they want to know who you are and how long you're going to stay there. They also give you a small card with that info and you have to have it in your passport on your way out of the country; if you don't, you're in trouble.

Saturday and Sunday are reserved for street evangelizing (we learned the Set me free skit), for promoting English camp (that's going to be during the week) and for sightseeing. It means we need to be flexible which I'm usually not. I'm a task oriented person, loving the rules, love having a plan. It's going to be stretchy and good, but that's definitely one of the areas you can pray for since I know it's not going to be easy.

From Monday to Friday we're going to be a part of an English Camp. It's a 2 week camp and we're joining the second week. There's 180 people that signed up for it, and a team from Bosnia is there already, running the camp and helping.
I'm not sure how the camp is going to look like. They told us we're going to be preparing English lessons each morning, and then have English Camp from 2-9pm. I guess we'll find out the details when we get there. 

We'll be returning back to Hungary on Saturday evening (Oct 22), a day before everyone else which will be a good time to use for some homework :)

I'm excited I understand a lot of Serbian, and that I'm learning Serbian now in order to communicate in any way. I also learned John 3:16 in Serbian; it's a lot similar to Slovene.
I don't feel as prepared as I did last semester but that was different because we were going to my home country.

Prayer requests:
- unity (people on the team by name: Gus, Shaunice, Gabby, Rachel, Clemens, Brittany, Mana)
- flexibility (dependance on the Holy Spirit, following His orders, being ready to do whatever)
- servant's hearts (we're going to serve, not to be served - "And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." - Matt 20:27-28)
- open hearts of people
- words from the Holy Spirit when we evangelize
- that any kind of fear would be replaced by peace that can only come from God
- that our hearts would be open to receive, and that God would speak

Thank you so much for your support and prayers! If I can, I'll update blog during the outreach; otherwise after I come back, including pictures!

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." - Acts 20:24

No comments:

Post a Comment